For all of you 9-5’ers, I know it’s not the easiest to stay healthy throughout the day. Between tempting office snacks, candy jars, and going out to eat for lunch, it can sometimes feel impossible. The best piece of advice I can offer is to take the time to pack your lunch and keep a few healthy snacks at your desk. When I worked in an office, I packed my lunch Monday – Thursday. On Fridays, I would go out to eat with co-workers. It was a healthy balance that worked really well.
If you sleep in until the last possible minute in the morning and don’t have time to pack your lunch, you can always do it the night before. It takes about 5min to make a healthy sandwich, and pack up a variety of veggies, fruit, nuts and snack. However, if you still don’t like that idea, you can always make meals on Sunday to eat for lunch throughout the week.
Fruit + Nut Quinoa Salad [makes about 4 servings]
The Health Benefits:
- Protein: Helps you feel full and satisfied with the nutrients to help rebuild muscle.
- Antioxidants: Promotes good health by helping fight disease and keeps your cells strong.
- Potassium: Increases blood flow and boosts metabolism.
- Fiber: Helps control weight and keeps you feeling full.
- Thiamine: Increases energy and ensures proper digestion.
- Vitamin E: Enhances your skin tone and is a natural antioxidant.
- Vitamin C: Strengthens your immune system.
- 1c rinsed quinoa
- 1c water
- 1c grape/cranberry [or similar] juice
- 1/2t cinnamon
- 2 apples
- 1 large pear
- juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/2c dried cranberries [or cherries/raisins/etc]
- 1/2c walnuts [or almonds/pecans/etc]
- 1/3c unsalted pumpkin seeds [check your bulk section, also called pepitas]
- goat cheese or feta crumbles
- Bring quinoa, water + juice to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook about 15min, until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and refrigerate in a bowl, until cool throughout.
- While chilling, cut apples + pear into bite size pieces and squeeze juice from 1/2 a lemon over top + stir. This will help the fruit from browning. Cover and put in the fridge.
- Chop walnuts. Put in a bowl with pumpkin seeds, cranberries and cinnamon.
- When the quinoa is cool, combine with fruit mixture + seed/nut mixture.
- *Stir in lemony vinaigrette [below] until fully combined.
When topped with feta or goat cheese crumbles, this is lunch time perfection. This is also a great side dish to bring to a party!
For more recipes, ingredients check out my Official Website!